Caplow Manzano is searching for its first Studio Director to help us design and build our city’s future. You will lead a staff of 10 with your skills in organization, goal setting, and market analysis. Your team will look to you for versatility, motivation, support, and all-around small business expertise.
You will report directly to the principals, who will trust you with day to day execution of the company’s strategic objectives while they work to deliver a continued flow of creative and impactful ideas to transform the resiliency, sustainability, and healthfulness of the built environment in South Florida.
You are a mid-career professional with design, real estate development and small business management experience. You pride yourself on project execution, efficiency, and affability. You measure success by how much you help the people around you also succeed. You want to be part of big ideas. You care deeply about our common future, about the natural environment, and about human health.
Caplow Manzano creates healthy homes to help people live longer. We build them to last a lifetime. There will be a city here in 100 years, and we intend to be part of it. Our current focus is a series of single-family residences that push the envelope of ecological design.
As of late 2022, we have seven projects in different stages of design development, permitting, and construction. Central features of our work include elevating for sea-level rise, maximizing solar power, targeting net zero energy, and deploying a range of voidless construction systems to manage indoor air quality. Our designs are LEED® platinum and WELL® compatible.
- Assist with creative strategy and provide design input for projects;
- Lead daily business operations, projects and marketing opportunities;
- Grow staff capabilities by improving individual technical, management and design skills;
- Review work output from design and engineering teams;
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the company relating to all staff, business and financial operations;
- Analyze local market and execute an effective strategy to claim the high ground;
- Work closely with founders and design leads to maximize the impact of the company’s sustainable mission
Your Skill Set
- Deep knowledge of architecture, design, residential real estate and/or construction
- Experience in small business management, including but not limited to financial and legal contract oversight
- Using public relations including earned, paid, and social media to help a business grow
- Team management, including staff meetings, reviews, skills transfer, and support
- Schedule creation and management
- Budget setting and tracking, and internal auditing of small business accounting
- Creating, critiquing, and applying workflow procedures for a team
- Personally organized, highly accurate, and detail-oriented
- Strong communication skills; sense of humor; poise under pressure
- a Masters degree or MBA
- Entrepreneurial, start-up, or small business career trajectory
- Passion for mission-driven companies and a track record of creative and intelligent contributions in those settings
- Familiarity with ecology, sustainability, and green building ideas
Your Commitment & Compensation
Salary based on experience. Health plan, PTO, and profit-sharing offered after relevant trial periods. Offices in Coconut Grove; position is full time and in-person (covid protocols in place). EOE.
Applicants must send a letter of interest and resume to [email protected].
Here at Caplow Manzano, we celebrate both teamwork and innovation. We are hikers, sailors, and animal lovers who are interested in our environment and the future of South Florida. Located in the Mayfair, we are steps away from the best local restaurants and shops in the heart of Coconut Grove (we even have trained baristas on staff!). We support the professional development of our team through academic opportunities and industry resources.