JOB TITLE DESIGN MANAGER
POSITION LEVEL 04
As a Design Manager, you will assist in developing creative-design concepts and lead the preparation of architectural presentations and production drawings, generate design studies and assesses design proposals. You will work under the guidance of a Senior Lead Designer or Principal, as well as independently on specific components of larger projects, and will often coordinate project design efforts with other team members and prepare design presentations.
You will assist in designing high-end resorts, hospitality and private luxury destinations. As a member of the OBMI team, you are expected to become familiar with and support OBMI’s strategic plan, and to become an active contributing member of our Destination Creation Centers of Excellence. OBMI encourages a commitment to excellence, creativity, innovation and building new successful business relationships.
You will have and provide hands-on daily coaching and mentoring as well as access to Dale Carnegie and LinkedIn Learning training modules. These will focus on growth areas like client management, presentation skills, and emotional intelligence.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Participate in all phases of the design process including envisioning sessions and the creation of conceptual designs, schematic design, design development, space planning, presentation drawings, sketches and renderings.
- Develop conceptual designs and presentations, perform programming of design requirements, space planning, and verification of code compliance.
- Develop, modify and review design drawings, correct and update documents, and assist in developing solutions to technical problems with creative and practical solutions.
- Set up and/or attend meetings with the Project Manager and Senior Lead Designer of your projects, as applicable, to report on the status of your tasks and projects and coordinate work ahead.
- Manage project design with awareness of project budgets, staffing requirements and schedules to meet project goals.
- Direct the work of junior members in your team, and supervise / review their work to ensure correctness, accuracy, coordination, and efficiency in the production of design documents.
- Develop and mentor junior members in the development of space planning concepts, design solutions, and quality production.
- Coordinate with design specialists & sub-consultants and work with contractors, fabricators, specification writers, and regulatory agencies to meet overall project objectives.
- Perform quality assurance / quality control of architectural drafting and presentations in accordance with company standards.
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives and programs.
- Support business development efforts including identify opportunities and facilitate introductions of potential clients to members of the firm.
- Attend industry networking events & actively participate in relevant associations.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Education: minimum professional bachelor’s degree in Architecture – Master is a plus.
- Licensure preferred but not required
- Experience: 7+ years of experience in an Architectural office with a focus on Hospitality Design.
- Must be able to multi-task, be a team player, possess a can-do attitude, and be a self-starter.
- The job requires proficiency in professional software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Bluebeam & Outlook).
- Demonstrated proficiency in Rhino, Revit, AutoCAD, SketchUp, InDesign and Photoshop for presentations.
- Strong design, graphic, sketching, illustration & presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate design ideas and direction quickly and clearly to team and Clients.
- Willingness and ability to work both, under a lead architect or on your own project, depending on size and type of project.
- Ability to manage a team of junior designers, drafters & others while creating a positive, collaborative environment.
- Strong presentation and client relations skills desirable.
- Experience with managing small teams and multi-disciplinary specialists.
- Knowledge of the design process from concept to delivery and building codes.
- Ability to manage variety of project types in various stages of development.
- This position may require travel abroad.